Crown yourself with a simple origami craft that the Greek statues would be proud to wear!
Duration: 10 Minutes
Learning Outcomes: Exercise fine motor skills as you fold and construct this crafty crown. Create costume pieces for dramatic play.
- R15410 Marble Sculpture paper
Start with a single sheet of marble sculpture paper. To complete this crown you will need 3-4 sheets of paper, depending on the size of your head but I want to start by walking you through the basic component. Start by folding the sheet diagonally, and cut off the excess. Unfold the triangle; you should have a square sheet. Fold the square sheet in half, then open it, and place the white side up on the table.
For the rest of the folding instructions, I have created a video for you:
- Fold the top two corners to meet at the center fold line. Your sheet should have a point at one end.
- Fold the square bottom up to meet the bottom of the arrows. Crease firmly.
- Fold the folded rectangle up, and flip the whole sheet over. You should have a triangle with flaps sticking out from behind on either side.
- Pleat the triangle by folding it down, then folding it up approximately 1/2″ above your first fold. Repeat 1-2 times to create the graduated steps that serve as decorations.
- Repeat steps 1-4 three more times, until you have four components.
- Choose one component. Lay it on the table in front of you with the triangle’s point facing away from you. Open the component so you can see the white inside. Slide the squared edge of another component onto the white area, overlapping the two pieces by 1-2″.
- Fold the rear flap and triangle over top of the second component.
- Carefully slide a third component into the second component, repeating steps 6-7. Be careful not to pull the second component out of the first component.
- Add the fourth component into the third component.
- Now it’s time to finish the loop and make your crown wearable. Using steps 6-7 again, place the free end of the first component inside the free end of the fourth component. Now you should have a “seamless” loop. The components can slide in and out of each other, so you can make small adjustments for individual head sizes. For adults, you may need to add a fifth component. Very young children may only need three components.
You can even make a crown for your best furry friend:
Like us on Facebook, Share this post with your friends, or Subscribe to this blog today to receive original craft project updates every week!